Hachette Book Group just announced some pretty exciting ebook news – their ebooks will be available through the OverDrive and the 3M Cloud Library platforms starting on May 8.
That “technically” means that all of the Big Six publishers now sell ebooks to libraries. OK – not really. Simon & Schuster still only sells to New York area libraries – they’re still in pilot project mode. So for most libraries we still have to wait a bit for the pilot project to play out.
But still – this is big, promising news for libraries and ebooks. For most libraries, within a year, all Big Six publishers will sell ebooks to libraries. Very cool news indeed!
More information can be found here:
- InfoDocket’s article
- American Libraries Magazine article
- TeleRead’s article – a few details on pricing, etc here
- 3M’s Press Release – technically accurate … but not for most libraries.
- E-Books and Democracy – an op-ed piece in The New York Times written by Anthony Marx, President of the New York Public Library
- Hachette Makes Full E-book Catalogue Available to Libraries – from Publisher’s Weekly